The Nik Collection consist of seven desktop plug-ins for Photoshop and Lightroom. The Nik programs are easy to use and photographers can create stunning effects through intuitive filter applications. With Nik Collection you can create almost anything; from mimicking classic cameras and creating vintage style images in Analog Efex Pro, to colour correction, retouching and creative effects in Color Efex Pro. With Viveza, you can selectively adjust the colour and tonality of an image without using complicated masks, or selections. Then there is also HDR Efex to create HDR images, as well as Dfine and Sharpener Pro to handle noise and sharpen your images intelligently. Then there is also my personal favourite, Nik Silver Efex , which is probably the finest black and white software available today…
Nik Collection has been touted a Swiss army knife for both professional and amateur photographers alike. In fact, for some time now, we’ve incorporated the Nik software in a few of our photography courses, including the Landscape Photography Retouching Course, Wedding Photography Course etc. We therefore applaud Google for this very generous offering since our photography students will most certainly relish using these great tools for their creative endeavors!
You won’t need Photoshop or any other program to use these tools since they can be started from their install location (normally C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection) but running the standalone program will limit the possibilities somewhat.
The NIK collection has the following plugins (or standalone editors)
- Analog Efex Pro – Explore the look and feel of classic cameras, films, and lenses.
- Silver Efex Pro – Master the art of black-and-white photography with darkroom-inspired controls.
- HDR Efex Pro – From natural to artistic, explore the full potential of HDR photography.
- Dfine – Improve your images with noise reduction tailored to your camera.
- Color Efex Pro – A comprehensive set of filters for color correction, retouching, and creative effects.
- Viveza – Selectively adjust the color and tonality of your images without complicated masks or selections.
- Sharpener Pro – Bring out hidden details consistently with the professional’s choice for image sharpening
DXO has taken over these plugins recently, and they are now selling it again for around $60,-
They have promised that they have updated the plugins, and that is the reason why they cost money (again)
The version on this page is the version before DXO took over.
You can download the NIK collection for both Windows and Mac.